Serving all 50 states
Toll free in the U.S.

Do you need to apostille a Certificate of No Record of Marriage?

In the United States, a Certificate of No Record of Marriage is also often called a Single Status Affidavit.

An apostilled Certificate of No Record of Marriage is required when one intends to get married in a foreign country, which is a member of the Hague Apostille Convention.  Certain countries also request the Certificate of No Record of Marriage for employment purposes. 

Certificate of No Record of Marriage is also known as:

  • Affidavit of Single Status
  • Affidavit of Marriageability
  • Certificate of Freedom to Marry
  • Certificate of No Impediment for Marriage
  • Certificate of No Public Record 
  • No Record of Marriage

It is permissible to write own text for a Single Status Affidavit, but we recommend checking with the local County Clerk’s office as they usually have a template you can use. All you will have to do is to complete the template with your personal information which typically includes your full name, your date and place of birth, your address, your nationality and passport details, and a short confirmation that you are currently not married and never been married or divorced.

Your first step getting a Certificate of No Record of Marriage is to contact your local County Clerk’s office and ask them for a document confirming that you are single (often called Affidavit of Single Status). Some County Offices also call this document a “No Record of Marriage”. All County Offices have templates for a Single Status Affidavit, so if you are told otherwise by a County clerk, request to speak to a supervisor. A Certificate of No Record of Marriage issued by a County Clerk’s office does not require notarization.

If for some reason, the County Clerk is not able to provide you with a template and you are physically in the United States, it is possible to write own Single Status Affidavit. There are plenty of samples of this document on the internet. A Single Status Affidavit is a sworn statement that a person writing it is not married to another person in the US. If you write your own Single Status Affidavit, you must have it signed and notarized before you apply for an apostille. Also, since the rules in different countries can vary, check with a country of your destination, if they accept a self-written Certificate of No Record of Marriage. 

If you are already outside of the United States, you should contact the local US Embassy or Consulate, and they will be able to assist you with preparing, signing, and notarizing an Affidavit of Single Status. 

The apostille process can be quite complex and if you are not familiar with it, it’s best to trust professionals like Multichoice Apostille to take care of it. If you need a USA apostille on a birth certificate, marriage certificate, death certificate, or other documents, please choose our apostille services. Multichoice Apostille has almost 20 years of experience in processing authentication documents for use abroad. We will take care of all the complicated details for getting your documents certified while you can focus on other things. We apostille USA birth certificate, death certificate, marriage certificate, divorce decree, school transcripts, FBI background check report, Social Security letter, and other documents. Multichoice Apostille is your unmatched service provider for USA apostille!

Our experts are available Monday through Friday from 10.00 AM to 6.00 PM. Please call us with any questions at 1-770-447-0360 or toll-free 866-416-0747, for easy-to-follow detailed instructions.

Toll free in the U.S. 866-416-0747 / 770-447-0360