Serving all 50 states
Toll free in the U.S.

Apostille on Certificate of Non-Impediment for Marriage

Were you asked for an apostilled Certificate of Non-Impediment for Marriage?

Are you getting married abroad and were asked to provide a Certificate of Non-Impediment for Marriage?

A Certificate of Non-Impediment for Marriage is a document confirming that the City Clerk’s Office does not possess any information that would impede you from getting a Marriage License. If you plan to get married in another country, be prepared to provide a Certificate of Non-Impediment for Marriage.

In some countries and County Clerk offices in the US a Certificate of Non-Impediment for Marriage is also called as:

• Affidavit of Single Status
• Affidavit of Marriageability
• Certificate of Freedom to Marry
• Certificate of No Public Record
• Certificate of No Record – Marriage
• No Record of Marriage
• Single Status Affidavit

In the United States, the most commonly used term for this document is a Single Status Affidavit.

To receive your Certificate of Non-Impediment for Marriage, you should first contact your local County Clerk’s office and ask for an official document stating that you are not married (an Affidavit of Single Status). Some County Clerk offices prefer the term “No record of marriage.” All County Clerk offices must have ready-to-use templates for this document. An Affidavit of Single Status issued by the County Clerk’s office does not need to be notarized.

If the County Clerk office is unable to provide you with a Single Status Affidavit for some reason, and you are located in the United States, you can draft your own Single Status Affidavit. Plenty of free samples of this document can be found online. Essentially, a Single Status Affidavit is a sworn declaration that you are currently not married to another person in the United States. A self-prepared Single Status Affidavit must be signed and notarized before you submit it for an apostille. We also recommend checking the country requesting your Single Status Affidavit if they accept self-prepared statements. 

If you are located abroad and need a Single Status Affidavit, you will need to contact the local US Embassy or a US Consulate for assistance with preparing, signing, and notarizing your document.  Note, that if you have been divorced in the United States, you will also be asked for an apostille on a divorce decree. 

The apostille process can be quite complex and if you are not familiar with it, it’s best to trust professionals like Multichoice Apostille to take care of it. If you need a USA apostille on a birth certificate, marriage certificate, death certificate, or other documents, please choose our apostille services. Multichoice Apostille has almost 20 years of experience in processing authentication documents for use abroad. We will take care of all the complicated details for getting your documents certified while you can focus on other things. We apostille USA birth certificate, death certificate, marriage certificate, divorce decree, school transcripts, FBI background check report, Social Security letter, and other documents. Multichoice Apostille is your unmatched service provider for USA apostille!

Our experts are available Monday through Friday from 10.00 AM to 6.00 PM. Please call us with any questions at 1-770-447-0360 or toll-free 866-416-0747, for easy-to-follow detailed instructions.

Toll free in the U.S. 866-416-0747 / 770-447-0360